Friday, October 23, 2009

It's all for you, Damien!

The #9 movie on my list is an Oscar winning British suspense-horror that scared the bejesus out of me the first time I saw it.  It stars Gregory Peck, Lee Remick, David Warner, Harvey Stephens, Billie Whitelaw, Patrick Troughton, Martin Benson, and Leo McKern.  Any guesses?  (The title of the post might have given it away...)  Well, it's The Omen (Donner, 1976).  The terrifying plot can be summed up in one sentence: An American ambassador learns to his horror that his son is the Antichrist - literally!  This is not only scary, but also well-acted and has a serious screenplay that can be enjoyed as a contemporary thriller rather then merely a B-list horror film.  Parts of this film are somewhat dated and it is slower then most movies today, but some parts are so chilling and unforgettable that this is still a classic.  The film is similar to the The Exorcist (Friedkin, 1973), but instead of a girl possessed by the devil, we have a creepy little Satan child.  Seriously, he's the child of Satan.  And while the boy is creepy for sure, it's really his nanny that gives me the heebie jeebies.






Oh, and did anyone see Mostly Ghostly on Disney Channel last night?  Oh, too old for Disney... yeah, me too.  But I happened to stumble upon it and decided to watch.  Much to my surprise, it had a few freaky parts.  Maybe a little too freaky for young viewers.  I mean there was a monster-goblin-scary-faced ghost whose hands turned into drill looking things and he had his two blue-faced monster assistants hold this little boy's face while he told him it was time for a dentist appointment.    I think that would make some kids almost pee their pants.  I can clearly handle scary movies, but scary dentists are not okay.  What is up with Disney?  Can we keep it PG, please?  Thank you.




And I realize the preview looks totally lame... but the dentist part was legit scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment