1. Devon Sawa - This guy stole our hearts (or at least mine) in Little Giants (Dunham, 1994) and Casper (Silberling, 1995) then came back as quite the hottie in flicks such as Wild America (Dear, 1997), Idle Hands (Flender, 1999), and Final Destination (Wong, 2000). But after that... he seemed to disappear. Now, at age 31, he does have a new film coming out but after almost ten years of being MIA, I just have to ask, what happened to ya, Devon?
2. Mike Vitar - This guy really only made one movie (that became popular) but it was enough to make us want more. You probably don't know him by name, but perhaps "Benny" rings a bell? Yup, this is Benny from The Sandlot (Evan, 1993). He was 15 at the time and definitely the coolest baseball player ever. But what happened to him?
3. Erik von Detten - He definitely had leading man good lucks but that only got him so far. We loved him in Brink! (Beeman, 1998) and Princess Diaries (Marshall, 2001) ... and maybe some of us remember him guest-starring on an array of TV shows including The Mole. But that seems to be about it. Where did he go? What is he doing now?
4. Ben Savage - We loved him as the adorable Cory Matthews on Boy Meets World, but it's sad that he doesn't seem to have been able to break away and move on to other projects. I mean we grew up with this kid and saw him go from a cute, awkward middle-schooler, to an even more awkward (and married) college student. ¿Donde está, Cory?
5. Jonathan Taylor Thomas - Was there anything better than Mr. Thomas to come out of the 90s? I don't think so. He is probably most well known for his role as Randy Taylor on Home Improvement, but he was also the voice of Simba in the The Lion King (Allers and Minkoff, 1994) and seemed to grace the cover of every teen magazine on a weekly basis. And unlike most child stars, he was cute and then got hot (instead of going from cute to, ugh... not so much). We miss you JTT, come back!
6. Shane West - Okay, so I guess he has been in a few things somewhat recently, like ER, and I think he has a few new projects coming out, but it feels like he fell off the radar. With leading roles in Get Over It (O'Haver, 2001) and A Walk to Remember (Shankman, 2002), plus a role on Once and Again, he seemed to be hot for a while. Sadly, his popularity seems to have sizzled. What happened? Maybe his 15 minutes was just up?
7. Michael Schoeffling - I think we can all understand why Molly Ringwald loved him in Sixteen Candles (Hughes, 1984) even without knowing him. Aside from that iconic, he appeared in nine other movies, a TV show, and he was a model. But why did he just seem to poof! Vanish. He was such a stud and I think we would have all appreciated more of him.
8. Frankie Muniz - In 2003, he was considered one of Hollywood's most bankable teens, but then he put his acting on hold to become a race-car driver and currently competes in the Atlantic Championship. He starred on Malcolm in the Middle for six-and-a-half years and was in such films as My Dog Skip (Russell, 2000), Big Fat Liar (Levy, 2002), and Agent Cody Banks (Zwart, 2003). I guess after making bank, he just decided to ditch Hollywood and drive.
9. Nate Richert - Any Sabrina, the Teenage Witch fans out there? If you watched the show (like myself), you probably remember Harvey Kinkle, Sabrina's high school boyfriend. Apparently he is a musician now, but we will always remember him as good ol' Harvey. And thanks to syndicated TV, we can still catch him Monday-Friday on ABC Family.
10. Corey Haim - The first time I saw The Lost Boys (Schumacher, 1987) I fell in love with Corey. He made several other films in the 80s, including a few with Corey Feldman. Man, the two Coreys were a dream-team if I ever saw one. But then what happened? Ok, I guess I know. Say no to drugs, kids. Just. Say. No.
11. Matthew Lawrence - The middle brother of the three Lawrence dudes, this one seemed to have a shot at breaking off and separating himself from his brothers. But that didn't last long. He was on Boy Meets World (the college days) for a while and appeared in a few films like The Hot Chick (Brady, 2002), but where'd he go?
12. Hanson - They were such a cute brotherly boy band that had us all singing MMMBop, but then what? They kinda left us hanging. Now I know they went on tour somewhat recently, but now they are old and have a bunch of kids themselves. There will never be another brother trio like them... sorry, but The Jonas Brothers ain't got nothing on Isaac, Taylor, and Zac. MMMYeah.
13. Edward Furlong - It's kind of embarrassing to admit, but I had a huge thing for Edward Furlong. I'm not sure if it was the whole 90s grunge look or the bad-boy persona, but whatever it was, I liked it. He made a few great films before he seemed to peace out, including Terminator 2: Judgement Day (Cameron, 1991), Pecker (Waters, 1998), and American History X (Kaye, 1998). But then drugs got the best of him. He does have five new films in the works though, two of which are already completed. An Eddy comeback?? Ohhh, intriguing.
Are there any actors, actresses, singers, or famous people who were popular, disappeared,
and left you wondering what happened to them?
Well, I hope you guys enjoyed my second installment of Thursday Thirteen. Enjoy the day!