Friday, November 27, 2009

No goats. No glory.

The new absurd comedy, The Men Who Stare at Goats (Heslov, 2009), stars George Clooney, Ewan McGregor, Jeff Bridges, and Kevin Spacey.  It claims to be based on true events... but I'm guessing it is very loosely based on actual occurrence, or at least I hope so.  The film is about a reporter (McGregor) who goes to Iraq and upon meeting Lyn Cassady (Clooney), who claims to be a former member of the U.S. Army's First Eath Battalion - a unit that trains soldiers to use paranormal powers - seems to have stumbled upon the story of a lifetime.  Over-the-top and utterly absurd, the film certainly includes some laugh-out-loud moments.  However, it is lacking any real substance or plot and I was kind of left asking, what's the point?

Now the film was enjoyable, and certainly well cast.  I particularly enjoyed George Clooney.  He was hilarious and totally off his knocker.  "This is grizzled, wild-eyed Clooney," remarked Tom Long of the Detroit News, "not the suave sophisticate, and it's a nice change of pace."  I concur.  The man certainly has some comedic chops and it was fun to see them unleashed.

With a mixed-bag of reviews and a 54% rating, I guess this is the kind of film you'll enjoy depending on your sense of humor.  I think the Toronto Star's Linda Barnard said it best: "The picture lacks discipline and focus at times, but it's fun despite the chaos."  It is narratively "loose" and a bit jumbled, but it does have some fun scenes and laughs to enjoy.

Maybe this is one to rent.




Has anyone else seen this one?  What'd you think?

2 comments:

  1. I want to see this, but I'm going to wait until I can rent it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choice... you'll have to let me know what you think when u see it (which might not be for a while haha)

    ReplyDelete