Wednesday, December 23, 2009

getting back on track...

Remember me?  Sorry I have been a bad, bad blogger and have totally neglected posts, reviews, and writing on my blog in general.  But what can I say?  It's winter break, I've been having panic attacks at the mall on a daily basis realizing how behind I am on Christmas shopping, and I've been a tad lazy.  But I have been going to the theaters regularly and staying on top of the new releases.  Some of the titles I've seen have been Avatar (Cameron, 2009), Brothers (Sheridan, 2009), Invictus (Eastwood, 2009), Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (Daniels, 2009), Up in the Air (Reitman, 2009), and I may or may not have gone to see New Moon (Weitz, 2009), again.  All have been enjoyable and all will have reviews written on them... starting right now.

So has anyone else seen Avatar yet?  My friend and I went to the "3D IMAX Experience" last night.  To throw out some adjectives, I'd say it was intense, epic, awesome, and shweet.  The film is about an ex-Marine who finds himself on an alien planet, Pandora, in the form of an Avatar - a human-mind controlled body that looks identical to the alien creatures living on the planet.  As he becomes more engrossed in his Avatar life, he is torn between two worlds in a fight for both his own survival and that of the indigenous people.  Based on storytelling and narrative alone, the film is really nothing new or special.  But technically, it is quite impressive.  And if you see it in 3D (which you should) it is like sensory overload.  Wowza!

The film seemed to have a lot of messages thrown in.  Perhaps a few too many.  There were obvious references to colonization, environmental concerns, and even some parallels to the so-called "War on Terror" and issues in the Middle East.  And if anyone else has seen Fern Gully, this movie reminded me of that like that but on greater scale and with sexier creatures, which isn't necessarily a bad thing since that movie was awesome too.




This is the most expensive film ever made, costing $360 million!  So far it has definitely been receiving lots of hype and great reviews.  Its first weekend it was #1 at the box office, received four Golden Globe nominations, and has an impressive 84% on Rotten Tomatoes.  It certainly was the most technically amazing film I have seen, maybe ever, and it was visually stunning and off-the-charts.  Overall, this was an amazing movie to experience and I certainly recommend it to others.

6 comments:

  1. No, I haven't seen Avatar yet. Although I rarely go to the movies, I might make an exception for this one... but only if I can see it in 3-D. Otherwise, I might as well wait until it hits DVD.

    By the way, I look forward to seeing you blogging again on a regular basis (if time permits).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My roommates saw Avatar and thought it was visually stunning, but too long and a little bit on the stupid side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I am also a movie junkie, but the only movie I got around to seeing over the holidays was Sherlock Holmes. It was really pretty good--doesn't hurt that Jude Law is in it, either! How was Brothers? I've been dying to see it.
    http://allthewittynamesaretaken.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. love fern gully, i will have to check this 3d thing out for myself

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely loved Avatar. I have now seen it 3 times in theatre. Crazy since I've only seen New Moon once... I need to get my priorities straight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitly think that Avatar was visually stunning but what I did not like about it was how predictable it was. It was great as far as being a new classic I suppose. I realize its a small price to pay in order to appeal to so many people and do so well in the box office, but to me it seemed to 'sell out' a bit because there was no danger in the story line at all. Ya know?

    ReplyDelete