Thursday, October 8, 2009

Hollywood news and more scary movies.

Hello all!  I hope everyone had a fantastic Thursday.  And tomorrow is Friday!! Hip-hip hooray!  I don't know about ya'll but I am SO ready for the weekend.  Before I get to my #24 pick for favorite scary movies, I have a few headlines to share.

1. Ellen Page, Alia Shawkat, and Sean Tillman (aka Har Mar Superstar) are writing/producing a new series for HBO.  Sounds intriguing...

2. The new trailer for Me and Orson Welles can be seen here.  I'm pretty excited to see Zac Efron play someone totally new (although I did enjoy him in Hairspray and as Troy Bolton :-))

3. Elvis' 17-year-old grandson (Benjamin Keough) has landed a $5 million record deal.  Wonder if it's a bad thing that NO ONE has heard of this kid before...

4. Chris Rock is being sued over his new documentary, Good Hair.

5. And if anyone watched Southland, I am sorry to inform you that it was canceled.  Looks like Ben McKenzie is out of work yet again.

Well that is all the Hollywood news I have for now so I will leave you with my #24 horror pick: 28 Days Later (Boyle, 2002).  This British post-apocalyptic sci-fi, horror, thriller (wow, that's a mouthful) is awesome.  I have said it before, and I will say it again... the British know horror.  Seriously.  They do.  It's kind of a fact and goes back to the roots of horror films with the Hammer studio... but that will probably be a later post.  Anyway, here is a basic overview of the movie: Four weeks after a mysterious virus spreads throughout the UK, a handful of survivors try to stay alive and find a safe sanctuary.  The plot was great - kind of an updated version of a zombie-movie that deals with the threats of SARS and germ warfare.  The desaturated colors and hand-held camerawork add to the intensity of the post-apocalyptic setting.  There is some blood but it is not overly gory by any means.  I think Richard Roeper of Ebert & Roeper, put it quite nicely when he said that this movie "is really creepy and really scary."  Indeed it is.



No comments:

Post a Comment