2. Boyfriend jeans - Although this is not a brand new trend, it seems these are even more popular this season. First seen on many celebs (especially Katie Holmes), the boyfriend jean is a fun and comfy alternative to the skinny jean. This fall staple can be paired with flats or heels, worn rolled up or rolled down, and is easy to dress up or dress down.
3. Over-the-knee-boots - This hot style made a small splash last season, but seems to be even bigger this year. So if you didn't grab a pair last year, don't fret. You can rock 'em now. Although these can be found as flat boots or with a heel, I'd recommend going for a flat style ... something about thigh-high boots and heels seems trashy as opposed to classy. (But I could be wrong.)
4. Shorts paired with leggings or tights - Wearing your shorts in the cold weather may look silly and be uncomfortable (goose bumps are never a practical look to rock). But now you can have your shorts and wear them too! Just pair them with some cute leggings or tights and you are good to go. Of course you can try this look with your summer shorts (denim, cotton, etc.) or buy some new wool shorts. Just have fun with it.
6. Denim leggings - Leggings have been a popular trend the last few seasons, and they are definitely in again this year. But it is time to update this look, and designers have come out with just the thing: denim leggings (sometimes called "deggings). Just remember, these are leggings... not jeans! So try paring with a long shirt (to cover your tush) and maybe a jacket or big sweater. You can tucking 'em into boots or wear with heels or flats.
7. Boyfriend blazer - This is super chic yet also somewhat masculine, in a sexy, feminine way. Although extremely versatile, this trend looks best with skinny jeans and high heels. Try adding some pearls and a cute clutch for a great night look.
8. Strong shoulders - Jackets and dresses with structured, exaggerated, extended or detailed shoulders are super in right now. This look can be somewhat intimidating... but don't let it be. Grab a bold-shouldered jacket and simply throw on some skinny jeans and you are pretty much there (add a pair of ankle boots and you are VERY there!).
9. Plaid - Plaid is a traditional fall/winter staple, and this year is no exception. Look for plaid in dresses, tops, skirts, and jackets. Some larger patterns can be overwhelming (especially on petite frames), so be careful. Adding plaid accessories can sometimes be the way to go.
10. Color - Black will always be in, but this season is all about fun, bold colors. Try adding red, pink, blue, green, or yellow to your wardrobe for a fun and fashionable splash of color. The 80s are totally making a comeback.
Try rocking some or all of these looks and you are sure to be a fashionista in no time.
Just remember to have fun, try some new looks, and don't be afraid to experiment.
And when you find what works for you... work it!